LAGOS, (Xinhua): Police have confirmed that 35 people were killed on Saturday when twin explosions hit a business area in Maiduguri, capital of the northeastern state of Borno and headquarters of the militant Boko Haram sect.
A bomb, suspected to have been planted by Boko Haram fighters in the city, went off near a local shopping complex, followed by another blast two minutes later.
“We are still counting, so far we have counted 35 bodies. Our men are still working with rescue workers at the scene,” Borno State police chief Lawan Tanko told Xinhua on the phone.
An eyewitness, Mohammed Buba, said the blasts occurred around 6 p.m. local time when most residents were preparing for the evening prayer.
Buba said the bombs were neatly packaged inside a fire wood truck, believed to have departed from the Sambisa Forest in Dam Boa Local Government Area.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, although Maiduguri is a stronghold of Boko Haram, a sect which has threatened more horrendous attacks in the West African country and has proved to be a major security threat in Nigeria since 2009.
Thousands of people have been killed in similar attacks in the four-and-half year insurgency of the sect. Recently, activities of the Boko Haram sect have been increased in Borno, a border city with Cameroon, Niger and Chad.
The Boko Haram sect seeks to enshrine the Islamic Sharia law into the constitution and declares war against the Western education.
Editor: Liu Dan