YOBE, (Xinhua): More than 20 students may have been killed in attack by the Boko Haram insurgents on Saturday in Nigeria’s northeast Yobe currently under a state of emergency.
A military source told Xinhua on phone on Saturday that the insurgents invaded Government Secondary School in Mamudo town in Yobe suburb and opened fire on the students.
The source described the attack on the school as “traumatic and pathetic” as it involved innocent souls of students and most likely some teachers.
A hospital source also confirmed the attack on the school but did not give details of the age of the deceased.
The Joint Task Force (JTF) had last weekend smashed a Boko Haram group in Fune area of the state, recovering two vehicles, arms, ammunition and other materials.
Last month, the state government also said it had made arrangements with the JTF to deploy security operatives to schools in the state.
Boko Haram sect has carried out multiple attacks on schools in violence-torn northeast Nigeria.
On May 14, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in the northern states of Adamawa, Yobe and Borno following waves of killing and attacks by Boko Haram suspects.
Editor: Hou Qiang