Scrolling news:

Palestine: Gaza casualty toll on the rise, Israeli strikes continue on day 20

Palestine: Eight Palestinians killed, dozens wounded Sunday

Eid moon sighting possiblities, Muslims in South Africa have declared Eid

Pakistan: More rain with thunder, lightening forecast in next 24 hours in Rawalpindi

Libya: US embassy evacuated after heavy violence

Palestine: List of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces between July 8 to July 27

Palestine: Two Palestinians beaten by Jewish mob in Jerusalem

Palestine: Reports show murder of 3 Israeli teenage settlers was not carried out by Hamas

Palestine: Remains of 85 Palestinians located under rubble of bombarded homes

Palestine: Ten Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in West Bank

Palestine: At least 15 kidnapped by Israeli forces from West Bank

Palestine: Palestinians pull over 140 bodies from under Gaza rubble, total killed 1000

Lebanon: Nasrallah: Israel on a path towards “suicide” in Gaza

Palestine: Two Palestinians killed as tens of thousands protest Israeli assault across West Bank

Palestine: Amid Gaza ceasefire calm, at least 40 dead bodies are found

Palestine: Entire 20 members of one family in Gaza killed prior to ceasefire, as death toll tops 940

Palestine: Seventeen killed in early morning hours of Friday

Palestine: Israeli forces invade Azzun in W Bank, use Palestinian civilians as human shields

Palestine: 931 Palestinians from Jerusalem & inside Israel taken captive in 3 Weeks

Saudi Arabia behind effort to disarm the Palestinian Resistance

US plans to reopen 18 diplomatic posts after terror alert

10th Aug 2013

The United States has said it plans to reopen 18 of the 19 embassies and consulates closed due to a global terror alert. The embassy in Yemen, however, will remain closed because of an ongoing threat.

The US State Department announced on Friday that it plans to reopen the majority of the diplomatic posts in the Middle East and Africa that were closed over the past week. It also said it would continue to monitor the situation in Yemen with an eye toward reopening the embassy in Sanaa at a later date.

“Our embassy in Sanaa, Yemen, will remain closed because of ongoing concerns about a threat stream indicating the potential for terrorist attacks emanating from Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

The closures this past week came in the wake of an intercepted message between al Qaeda leaders about plans for a major terrorist attack.

US leaders have reassessed the regional al Qaeda terror threat, which has led to the plan to resume normal operations at the posts.

The diplomatic posts will be reopened on Sunday or Monday.

Assessing al Qaeda

Earlier on Friday, President Barack Obama commented on the strength of al Qaeda in the region.

“This tightly organized and relatively centralized al Qaeda that attacked us on 9/11 has been broken apart,” Obama said. “And it is very weak and does not have a lot of operational capacity.”

He was careful, however, to point to the dangerous situation in the Arabian Peninsula and the extremists linked with al Qaeda there.

“We still have these regional organizations like AQAP (al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula) that can pose a threat,” he said.

The US consulate in Lahore, Pakistan, which was closed on Thursday following a separate terror threat, however, will remain shut.

“Our consulate in Lahore, Pakistan, which closed due to a separate credible threat to that facility, will also remain closed,” Psaki added.

tm/kms (AFP, AP, Reuters)

 

http://www.dw.de/us-plans-to-reopen-18-diplomatic-posts-after-terror-alert/a-17010857

Leave a Comment

What is 15 + 6 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Sectarianism in the Middle East and its rise in the UK, Standpoint, Sahar TV. Interview 29 May 2013 and aired on 12 June 2013


Latest Tweets

The Muslim News

awards

Awards for Excellence

Read more