CAIRO, (Xinhua): At least 421 people w
ere killed and 3,572 others injured across Egypt in clashes between supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi and the security troops, after the latter dispersed Wednesday two pro-Morsi sit-ins in the country, the Health Ministry said Thursday.
The figures are being continuously updated. The newly announced death toll has risen by nearly 200 after Wednesday evening’s figure given by the ministry showed at least 235 people were killed and over 2,000 injured in the nationwide clashes.
The Health Ministry has said 43 policemen were killed.
But it remains difficult to dig out the real number of deaths and injuries due to conflicting sources as well as some incessant clashes across the country.
The Muslim Brotherhood, from which Morsi hails, alleged that some 2,000 pro-Morsi protesters were killed in the security forces ‘ dispersal.
The Egyptian security forces started Wednesday dawn the evacuation operation at Rabaa al-Adawiya Square in Cairo’s Nasr City and Nahda Square in Giza. The pro-Morsi protesters had been sitting in there for some 45 days.
After the deadly clashes, the Egyptian interim presidency announced on Wednesday a state of emergency nationwide for one month, while the cabinet imposed curfew on turmoil governorates including Cairo, Giza and Alexandria.
Moreover, Egypt’s interim Vice President for International Relations, Mohamed ElBaradei, offered his resignation after the violence, saying he is no longer able to bear responsibility for any drop of blood or decisions he does not agree with and that he is quite concerned about their consequences.