QALAT, (Xinhua): Eight civilians lost their lives as a roadside bomb struck a civilian vehicle in the southern Zabul province on Friday, deputy to provincial governor Mohammad Jan Rasoulyar said.
“The tragic incident happened outside provincial capital Qalat at 08:30 a.m. local time, leaving eight innocent commuters dead,” Rasoulyar told Xinhua.
The victims include two children, five women and a man, the official further said.
He added that the driver got wounded in the bombing.
Rasoulyar also blamed Taliban militants for the deadly roadside bombing. However, the armed outfit fighting the government have yet to make comment.
Civilians often bear the brunt of war in Afghanistan as more than 1,300 non-combatants had been killed and more than 2,500 others sustained injuries in Afghan conflicts in the first six months of the current year, according to a report released by the U.N. in last July.