American Muslim sues US Government over alleged UAE torture

27th Jun 2013

[ Photo: Yonas Fikre, a Portland, Oregon Muslim American says he was detained and tortured in the UAE at the behest of the FBI]

 

By Elham Asaad Buaras

 

An American Muslim of Eritrean descent is suing the FBI and State Department, claiming his three month solitary confinement detention and torture in the UAE was done at their behest.

 

The lawsuit filed on May 30 seeks $30 million and several injunctions against the US Government concerning its treatment of citizens overseas.

 

Yonas Fikre said he was held for 106 days in the UAE after refusing to cooperate with Portland, Oregan-based FBI agents in an interview in Sudan.

 

Fikre said he angered FBI agents when he refused their request for him to spy on worshippers at Portland’s Masjid As-Saber mosque. He said interrogators in Abu Dhabi later used information Fikre had given to the FBI agents in his interrogation.

 

Fikre said he told his interrogators that many of their questions were the same ones he had been asked during his FBI interview.

 

“(Fikre) thus inquired whether his confinement and mistreatment was at the request of the FBI,” according to the lawsuit. “On each such occasion, the interrogators responded by beating plaintiff severely.”

 

Two other Oregon Muslims who worship at the mosque have also alleged they were held overseas and were asked to become informants by Portland-based FBI agents. Both men have returned to Oregon.

 

Masjid As-Saber has come under scrutiny after a worshipper at the mosque, Mohamed Osman Mohamud, was convicted of plotting to set off a bomb in 2010. A decade ago, seven Muslims with ties to the mosque were arrested following a failed effort to enter Afghanistan and fight US forces.

 

Named in Fikre’s suit are Attorney General’ Eric Holder, Secretary of State, John Kerry, FBI Director, Robert Mueller, FBI Terrorism Screening Centre Director, Timothy Healy and the two Portland-based agents, David Noordeloos and Jason Dundas.

 

Fikre, a Sudanese man of Eritrean descent, came to Portland in 2006 and worked for a mobile phone company. In 2009, he decided to open an electronics retail business in Sudan while his wife remained in Portland.

 

In April 2010, a man claiming to be a US embassy official in Sudan asked Fikre to come to “a luncheon the following day in order to discuss how Americans might stay safe during a period of political turmoil in Sudan,” according to the suit.

 

Instead, Fikre said he went through embassy security and was met by the FBI agents, Dundas and Noordeloos, in a small room. Fikre said he was denied representation by an attorney. He believed he was not permitted to leave.

 

The suit includes a text copy of a letter that Fikre claims was sent to him by Noordeloos.

“While we hope to get your side of issues we keep hearing about, the choice is yours to make. The time to help yourself is now. ” The letter, as represented by Fikre, is signed “Dave Noordeloos.”

 

Fikre left Sudan in June 2010 and arrived in the UAE in September 2010, where he obtained a residency permit.

 

In June 2011, men “invaded” his house in Abu Dhabi, blindfolded him and took him to a windowless cell.

 

He was questioned for hours every day in English, only able to see the shoes and pants of his captors. The questions focused on who had a “jihad mentality” at the mosque, what its imam discussed in public and private and how the mosque conducted fundraising.

 

Fikre’s lawyer Tom Nelson said he learned of his clients detention in late June 2011 and contacted the offices of US Rep. Earl Blumenauer, who passed on his concerns to the State Department.

 

In late July 2011, two months into his detention, Fikre said he was visited by a member of the State Dept. Before the meeting, Fikre said he was instructed not to talk about his treatment to the visiting Consular official, “lest he be beaten still more severely.”

 

His release came on Sept 4, 2011. He had been placed on the US no-fly list, and could not return to Oregon, so went instead to Sweden.

 

On May 1, 2012, he was indicted in Federal Court in California for “conspiracy to structure” 2010 monetary transfers from his family to him in the UAE – money transfers the Government says were set up to avoid US reporting requirements.

 

Fikre believes the indictment was a response to his decision to go public the previous month.

 

The State Department has confirmed previously that Fikre was held in Abu Dhabi “on unspecified charges,” but said he was visited by State Department officials and showed no signs of mistreatment.

 

×

Comments are closed.

general-elections

 

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.


Latest Tweets

The Muslim News

The Muslim News
Read more