Scrolling news:

Man cautioned over Liverpool mosque bomb scare

26th Jul 2013

By Elham Asaad Buaras

 

A Danish man has been cautioned after bomb disposal experts carried out controlled explosions on a suitcase found inside a mosque in Liverpool.

 

Bomb squad officers from the Royal Logistics Corps were called to a mosque in Liverpool when a suspect package was left by a black man on June 1.

 

The mosque had received a string of malicious phone calls in the aftermath the murder of British soldier Lee Rigby.

 

The 22-year-old was cautioned after being arrested for causing a public nuisance.

 

Two controlled explosions were carried out after the suspect package was left at Al Rahma mosque in Mulgrave Street, Toxteth, on Sunday (June 30) evening.

 

Police were called to the scene at around 9pm but no explosive materials were found.

 

A spokesman for the mosque told The Muslim News a black man had come into the mosque with a metal suitcase and said he wanted to become a Muslim.

 

“Then he said ‘Before that I need to go home’ and ran off leaving his locked metal suitcase inside the mosque,” said the spokesman

 

CCTV showed the man was in the mosque for 15 minutes.

 

The street was evacuated and closed off and an Army bomb disposal squad was called to the scene.
Worshiper Hishan Umair Adnan Khalid, 20, said: “There was a bit of commotion. A man came in randomly and left a suitcase and said he’d be back later on.

 

“Someone went to move it and it was heavy and locked. They called police straight away. ”

 

He said150-200 people were inside the mosque when the alarm was raised.

 

One witness said that the package may have been a donation of clothes for a charity bank at the back of the mosque.

 

Another local man said the mosque was covered by CCTV and the suspect had been recorded on the cameras.

 

Shocked residents gathered on all sides of the cordon as the drama unfolded  One man, who asked not to be named, said: “This has shocked me because nothing like this has ever happened at our mosque. This is a peaceful area and people should not have to live in fear.”

 

A spokesman for Merseyside Police told The Muslim News: “We were called at 9pm to a report of a suspicious package at the mosque. A cordon was put in place and we called in the Army bomb disposal unit.”

The police spokesman added that the suitcase had been left inside the mosque, but was carried outside by someone before police were called.

 

Leave a Comment

What is 2 + 7 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Sectarianism in the Middle East and its rise in the UK, Standpoint, Sahar TV. Interview 29 May 2013 and aired on 12 June 2013


Latest Tweets

The Muslim News

awards

Awards for Excellence

Read more